Monday, November 15, 2010

From wood carving to carton-craft...

Back in January 1994 when we started this kind of business; carton-craft. Or simply handicraft made from chipboard. That was the time when my husband became jobless from being a wood carver. That was really tough for me. Since we don't have any source of income at that moment, my husband and I took every opportunity to show off our ability just to survive our family, especially our five kids then.

At first I tried to make 2 inches star from the pattern I borrowed from my eldest brother. I made 200 pieces brown finished mini-stars. Then I brought it to Susan Velasco's house, a noted business woman in Paete, in spite of we didn't  know each other yet and she didn't even ordered it. Days passed and I found out that the 200 pieces then became 500 pieces. And the order goes up to 2000 pieces and so on and so forth. Until by then, we eventually learned how to make more other assorted items made from chipboard or karton. That was really a great changes of situations for our family. And we learned a lot from that changes.

christmas stars

Then February of 1997, Boss Nong Narciso went to our home accompanied by Ma'am Nora Cadawas, a former school teacher. She began to order assorted christmas ornaments, in which we are now on our 13th consecutive years of work under her good supervision.

Although, carton craft is a seasonal and unstable job, it really makes a lot to our family. That's why, in bigger or smaller; easier or harder; let us love and do our job. Make it best and you'll see: money follows!

As a whole, we cannot do this without God, who gave us the talent of making fine brown finished christmas items and ornaments, assorted boxes, jars etc.!

Written by: Nanay Bok

No comments:

Post a Comment